What is Soundwave Art?
Lately, I have seen sound wave art trending more and more. I decided it was time to teach myself, and you, how to create this precious idea as a DIY. But first, what exactly is sound wave art?
Sound wave art is a sign or picture of a soundwave image taken from an audio or video. So quite literally the sound is being translated into an image that you can see. Often used with wedding vows, songs, the voice of a loved one who passed away, or something special said by your kids, soundwave is a great way to cherish a memory. I’ve seen so many of you create them after watching my Youtube video and sharing them in my Facebook group!
Today I will show you how to make custom sound wave art for your home or as a personalized gift to give at Christmas or any special occasion.
If you are not up to generating your own sound wave art as a DIY then check out some of my fellow crafty besties below who will make the sound wave gift for you!
- 3D Sound Wave Art with Clear Acrylic
- Personalize Sound Wave Art With Pictures
- Night Sky Sound Wave Print
The process of making these is not at all hard, but rather just a lot of little steps. I have a full step-by-step video tutorial on this below and will also share all my free resources for converting video files into an image that can be cut and placed onto a wood sign or canvas.
Soundwave Art Video Tutorial
- Cricut machine (any Explore or Maker model will work)
- A video recording (using your phone is fine!)
- Vinyl of choice (you can use iron-on or adhesive – both work on wood and canvas! If you decide to use iron-on follow this heat guide here for your Easypress or Easypress Mini) To see how I wrap my canvas in HTV check out this post here.
- Transfer tape if you choose adhesive vinyl
- Wood sign or canvas. You can find these at Hobby Lobby or Michaels craft store. Also, check out Amazon’s selection of wood signs and canvases here.
- Paper flowers NOTE – the paper flowers that are shown here come from my ebook, The Joy of Paper Flowers! OR you can use a Print Then Cut image printed on printable vinyl. The one in my video below came from Freepik.com
- Glue gun if you decide to add paper flowers
- Printer for the QR code and a QR app. Find the app for iPhone here and the app for Andriod here.
Instructions for a Converting Video to Sound wave Art
Details are shown step by step in the video above.
- If you filmed the video on your phone, start by emailing yourself the video you recorded so you can access it on your computer. Download and save the video.
- Upload the video to https://online-audio-converter.com/ and follow their instructions to convert your video to audio. Download and save your new audio file.
- Next, upload your audio file to this this sound wave generator.
- Scroll down and click Upload. Once the file has converted it will ask you to select color etc. I change these settings to Black and select the large waveform size at 3600 x 1200 pixels. This ensures a good resolution for the PNG wave image download.
- Scroll down and click OK. You will be presented with your waveform image.
- Right-click and save the file to your computer. It will save as a PNG image.
Bringing the Sound wave Image into Design Space
- Open a new Canvas and upload your PNG image.
- When you get to the part where Cricut asks if you wish to save the file as a Print Then Cut or a Cut Image be sure to select Cut Image.
- Select and bring the wave art into the Design Space Canvas.
- Measure your sign or canvas and scale your waveform to the correct size.
Decorating the Sign
In my video above I use a Print Then Cut image on printable vinyl as one option to decorate my sign above the wavelength.
Keep reading to see my suggestions for adding a QR code to the sound wave sign.
Join Thousands of Crafty Besties Inside the Freebie Vault!
Love freebies?! Me too! I have a gorgeous freebie vault you will love playing in. Create a free account by signing up via the form below to access hundreds of crafts!
Adding the QR Code to Your Sound Wave Art Sign
- To add the QR code, upload the original video to YouTube. Make sure to set the video as Unlisted so no one can see it but the person scanning the code.
- Navigate to https://www.qr-code-generator.com/. Create an account then select the video option and input the URL from your Youtube video.
- Set a title or message under your video and save it. At this point, you will be able to download your QR code image.
- Download your QR code and print it out on sticker paper or printable vinyl
- Attach the code to the back of your sign. You could also add it to a card or tag attached to the sign.
Viola! You have created a special one-of-a-kind keepsake with lots of handmade love and meaning!
If you have any questions for me feel free to leave a comment below!
About Abbi Kirsten Collections
I have spent the last 9+ years building my creative skills and sharing them with others. My flower designs are created with simplicity, color and crafty fun in mind. If you haven’t yet, be sure to join the subscriber community to gain access to all my freebies or visit my signature design shop here!
Want to join my Facebook community to share your crafts and learn from the best? Click here to request access to my group, Crafters and Cricut Lovers.
More Tutorials to Love
- Full Bloom Garden Stemmed Paper Rose Tutorial
- How to Use Cricut Smart Vinyl Materials – Cricut Maker 3 and Explore 3 Smart Vinyl Tutorial
- Making Crepe Paper Flowers – The Secrets to Creating Stunning Blooms
- 25 Sanity Saving Craft Vinyl Hacks Every Cutting Machine Crafter Should Know
- 19 Summer Crafts and Activities to Keep Kids Busy