How to Make Giant Paper Poinsettia Flowers
Catching a glimpse of those vibrant red poinsettia flowers gives away the Christmas season’s arrival. Traditionally, the poinsettias enduring classic red color graces many doorways and tables during the Holiday season.
Learning how to make paper poinsettia flowers is not just a fun pastime at Christmas or a new way to decorate, but also a much safer option for your beloved fur babies in the home. Real poinsettias are actually toxic to pets so creating them from paper is much safer!
I have made many styles of both giant and small poinsettias over the last 2 years and today I wanted to share with you my original design!
Below I have listed the supplies I use to make these large paper poinsettia flowers. To craft them for yourself, just gather your materials and scroll down to watch the step-by-step video tutorial or view the picture instruction collage below.
Looking for more Holiday decor and freebies? Check out the Holiday section here.
Supplies for Making Paper Poinsettia Christmas Flowers
- Glue Gun
- 65-pound cardstock
- Scissors and/or cutting machine Cricut Machine
- Templates in my shop here or find them on Etsy
- Paper Blooms shaping mat and tool set (optional)
- Wood dowel
- Pearls or center embellishments.
- You can always view my full tried and true supply list here!
Download the Poinsettia Templates Here
They come with both printable PDF templates for those who wish to print on their home printer and cut the poinsettia templates with a pair of scissors, or you can use the paper poinsettia SVG cut files with your cutting machine (I love Cricut. Find out why here).
Love freebies?! Me too! I have a gorgeous freebie vault you will love playing in. Create a free account by signing up via the form below to access hundreds of crafts!
Poinsettia Paper Flower Directions
Be sure to watch the full step-by-step video tutorial below so you can learn how to make these pretty poinsettia flowers!
- Cut out 8 paper poinsettia petals in each size out, you circle base and 1 center petal cut out.
- Cut about an 1.5 inch slit at the bottom of your petals and slightly overlap with glue.
- Add detail to your poinsettia petal with the Paper Blooms shaping mat and tool set by drawing veins onto the petals for a realistic touch.
- Using the circle base, glue 4 petals at a time in a square-like pattern around the circle base – one across from the other.
- Continue adding in your smaller poinsettia petals working towards the center.
- Finally place your poinsettia centerpiece into the middle of the flower.
- If you like, add a chosen embellishment such as pearls to complete your poinsettia center!
You can downsize the poinsettia flowers by subtracting the use of the larger petals and just doubling up on the medium ones.
How to Make Paper Poinsettia Flowers Video Tutorial
Want More Poinsettias?! Check out my other tutorials!
- 26 inch Giant Noel Poinsettia Flower
- Classic small poinsettias
- Small Holly Poinsettia
- DIY Poinsettia Lighted Garland
About Abbi Kirsten
My mission is to inspire you to nurture the creative magic inside your soul – bringing you fun, easy-to-learn DIY projects, and quality template designs. I share a variety of projects, holiday decor and you will definitely notice my love for paper crafting and paper flowers – all tied up in a sweep of cheerful color.
Interested in paper flowers?! I’ve created dozens of signature designs for you to enjoy – starting with my bestseller, The Art of Giant Paper Flowers, the Giant Flower Library and my shop of endless paper designs and flower templates.
Want to join my Facebook community to share your crafts and learn from the best? Click here to request access to my group, Elite Crafters and Cricut Lovers.