Summertime is the perfect season to get crafty. With July 4th right in the middle of summer it’s the perfect holiday to add some patriotic crafts to list, like making paper flowers.
Making paper flowers is one of my most beloved crafts, so naturally when a follower of mine requested an American flag flower I was happy to accept the challenge. Last year our paper star lumieres were a favorite!
What I love most about this flower is the spiral effect you can create with the colors. What’s better is you can apply this technique to any petal shape or number of different colors giving you endless new style to paper flowers.
Below you will find my full supply list for creating this patriotic beauty, known as Star Spangled Swirl Flower, as well as my full video tutorial for making this paper flower below.
How to Make Star Spangled Paper Flowers
- 50-65 pound cardstock. I love this brand here and here.
- Scissors or cutting machine. Cricut makes this job much easier!
- Glue gun
- Wood dowel for curling the petals
- White glitter vinyl for the stars or pre-cut star stickers
- Star Spangled Swirl style paper flower templates – find them here or shop here on Etsy.
- You can also create this same effect no matter the petal shape. Grab some of my free beginner style flower templates below to try it out!
Find out via the teal button below!
New to paper flowers? Be sure to check out my full mega supply list here!
You will need to cut out all your petals first and in specific colors if you wish to follow this pattern. You can hand cut with the printable PDF files or use the SVG cut files with a cutting machine.
Making paper flowers like these is really fun because of the swirling center. I first created this technique with my Unicorn Rainbow Paper Flowers.
Downsizing your flowers for a variety of sizes is super easy, just subtract use of the XL or large petals to create a smaller look!
Cut the following petals in these sizes and colors:
- XL petal – 8 (3 blue, 3 white and 2 red)
- Large petal – 8 (3 blue, 3 white and 2 red)
- Medium petal – 8 (3 blue, 3 white and 2 red)
- Small petal – 16 (6 blue, 6 white and 4 red)
- One XL 8 sided base
Once you get your petals cut out scroll down and click play to watch the full video tutorial!
More Templates to Love
American Flag Video Tutorial
Did you love making these paper flowers? Be sure to visit all the paper flower tutorials here!
You can also learn how to make the pompom center here!
Wanna be a Cricut Master and learn to create your own craft design files like me?
Do you own a Cricut machine or want to own a Cricut but are intimidated when it comes to learning the equipment or even opening the box?!
Are you are overwhelmed when you look at the Design Space software and feel lost with all the functions?
Maybe you wish you could create your own design files rather than being forced to spend money on every design for each project you make?
If that sounds like you be sure to join me here in my FREE masterclass!
About Abbi Kirsten
My mission is to inspire you to nurture the creative magic inside your soul – bringing you fun, easy to learn DIY projects, and quality template designs. I share a variety of projects, such as printables, svg cut files and craft tutorials, but specifically love paper crafting and paper flowers.
Interested in paper flowers?! I’ve created dozens of signature designs for you to enjoy – starting with my best seller, The Art of Giant Paper Flowers, the Giant Flower Library and my shop of endless paper designs and flower templates.
Want to join my Facebook community to share your crafts and learn from the best? Click here to request access to my group, Elite Crafters and Cricut Lovers.
- DIY Fairy House Craft: Paper Fairy House Luminaries
- Paper Peony Flower Template: How to Make Small Paper Peonies
- Engraving with Cricut Maker: How to Center Your Text and Add Fills for Bolder Engraving
- How to Cut Crepe Paper With the Cricut Maker
- How to Make Small Paper Roses: Camellia Rose Template & Tutorial