Summertime is the perfect season to get crafty. With July 4th right in the middle of summer, it’s the perfect holiday to add some patriotic crafts to the list, like making some American flag paper flowers.
Making paper flowers is one of my most beloved crafts, so naturally, when a follower of mine requested an American flag flower I was happy to accept the challenge. Last year our paper star luminaires were a favorite!
What I love most about this flower is the spiral effect you can create with the colors. What’s better is you can apply this technique to any petal shape or number of different colors giving you endless new styles to paper flowers.
Below you will find my full supply list for creating this patriotic beauty, known as Star-Spangled Swirl Flower, as well as my full video tutorial for making this paper flower below.
How to Make Star Spangled american flag Paper flowers
Supplies for Making Paper Flowers – American Flag Flower
- 50-65 pound cardstock. I love this brand here and here.
- Scissors or cutting machine. Cricut makes this job much easier!
- Glue gun
- Wood dowel for curling the petals
- White glitter vinyl for the stars or pre-cut star stickers
- Star Spangled Swirl style paper flower templates – find them here or shop here on Etsy.
Get Access to Hundreds of Free Craft Files!
You can also create this same effect no matter the petal shape. Grab some of my free beginner-style flower templates below to try it out inside the Freebie Vault!
I have a gorgeous freebie vault you will love playing in. Create a free account by signing up via the form below to access hundreds of crafts!
New to paper flowers? Be sure to check out my full mega supply list here!
You will need to cut out all your petals first and in specific colors if you wish to follow this pattern. You can hand-cut with the printable PDF files or use the SVG cut files with a cutting machine.
Making paper flowers like these is really fun because of the swirling center. I first created this technique with my Unicorn Rainbow Paper Flowers.
Making paper flowers like these giant ones smaller is easy, just subtract the use of the XL or large petals to create a smaller look!
Cut the following petals in these sizes and colors:
- XL petal – 8 (3 blue, 3 white and 2 red)
- Large petal – 8 (3 blue, 3 white and 2 red)
- Medium petal – 8 (3 blue, 3 white and 2 red)
- Small petal – 16 (6 blue, 6 white and 4 red)
- One XL 8 sided base
Star Spangled American Flag Flower Video Tutorial
Once you get your petals cut out watch the full video for making your American Flag paper flowers or keep reading for a picture and written tutorial overview.
Did you love making these paper flowers? Be sure to visit all the paper flower tutorials here!
You can also learn how to make the pompom center here!
American Paper Flower Instructions
- Cut out your petals (listed above)
- Begin by gluing two red and white every other one and four blue XL petals aorund your 8-sided base.
- Repeat step two alternating your petals with large-extra small petals.
- Add white stars around the blue petals
- Add a pompom swirl center to complete your flower. See how I make the pompom center here.
Wanna be a Cricut Master and learn to create your own craft design files like me?
Do you own a Cricut machine or want to own a Cricut but are intimidated when it comes to learning the equipment or even opening the box?!
Are you are overwhelmed when you look at the Design Space software and feel lost with all the functions?
Maybe you wish you could create your own design files rather than being forced to spend money on every design for each project you make?
If that sounds like you be sure to join me here in my FREE masterclass!