My posts often contain affiliate links. If you purchase through my link I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. I only promoted products that I have tried and loved, so you will too!.
Southern Magnolia Paper Flower Template – Step by Step DIY Tutorial
Walk into any home decor store and you will see one of this years trending flowers- the Southern Magnolia. There is a simplistic beauty about them and they make any space inviting and charming. So, you know me, I’m going to pull out my crafting supplies and that means learning to make a paper flower version. Today I’m giving you my Southern Magnolia Paper Flower Template – Step by Step DIY Tutorial.
Let’s dive right in, shall we?
- Glue Gun
- 65-pound cardstock
- 18 gauge wire
- Wire clippers
- Scissors and/or cutting machine (Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine)
- Cutting machine measurements: Larger petal: 4.2 H x 1.9 W Smaller petal: 3.6 H x 1.7 W Leaf vine: according to preference.
- Thin dowel for rolling
- Fringe scissors (optional)
- Click HERE to Download
- Cut 3 small and 6-7 larger magnolia petals.
- Cut a 5 by 2-inch rectangle for the magnolia’s stamen
- First, fold your rectangle in half lengthwise.
- Using fringe or regular scissors cut small slits down the entire length of the folded side.
- Then, open the rectangle up and reverse the fold and glue the two non-fringed ends together.
- Using your 18 gauge wire, bend one end into a loop.
- Add some glue to the edge of the paper and wrap in down the wire stem adding glue as you go.
- Trim stem down if you wish.
- Starting with the slightly 3 smaller petals use a thin dowel to curl the edges of the petals backwards. Use your fingers to slightly crease the bottom center of the petals.
- Add glue to the bottom tip of the petal and glue it around the magnolia yellow stamen and pinch firmly until dry.
- Curl and slightly crease the remaining petals like we did with the first 3. Glue your next petals with the placement in between the first 3 to create a blooming effect.
- Keep adding one petal at a time till you have used the remaining 6 or 7 depending on how you feel the flower looks.
- Repeat the last 2 steps until you feel the flower is fairly even.
- To finish the bottom of the magnolia cut about 6-8 inches of corsage tape. Add a small bit of glue at the base of one of the petals then wrap the corsage tape down the stem.
- Optional- add greenery by gluing it to the underside
Enjoy this fun piece of southern flair! Let me know how it turned out!
Watch the full tutorial for the Southern Magnolia Paper Flower Template – Step by Step DIY Tutorial Below
Share what you’ve been up to by using #DIYwithAbbi. I would love to see your creativity in the works so flaunt your flower power magic! You are a huge source of my inspiration!
My mission is the inspire you to nurture the creative magic inside your soul by bringing you fun, easy to learn DIY projects and quality template designs. Interested in more flower tutorials?! We offer dozens of signature designs. Starting with my best seller, The Art of Giant Paper Flowers, my Giant Flower Library and my shop of endless designs.
Thanks for letting me be apart of your day!
Southern Decor Favorites