Everyone loves a good ornament DIY tutorial during the Christmas season! Creating DIY glitter Christmas ornaments is nothing new, but I decided to try it myself this year and share my own process.
I did this ornament craft with my kids last year as well. They helped me swirl the glitter around inside the plastic ornaments.
In addition to my DIY glitter Christmas ornament tutorial, I am giving you 15 FREE Christmas word SVG cut files to use on your ornaments! The free Christmas SVG files will work great to personalize your ornament designs. You can also type out your own festive holiday words in Cricut Design Space – check out my post on installing and using fonts in Design Space.
Let’s go over the supply list, and then I’ll walk you through how to make your own glitter ornaments step by step in the video below.
Looking for more Christmasy Cricut crafts?! Check out my Holiday Recipe Vinyl Signs and my DIY Paper Mistletoe tutorial!
So here’s the deal most crafters want to know which liquid glue is best for these glitter ornaments. I prefer using polyacrylic for my handmade glitter ornaments as my first choice but I have also used polyurethane as you will see in my video below which worked equally as well and did not yellow even after 2 Christmas’ had passed.
DIY Glitter Ornament Supplies
Your first step is to gather your supplies take a look at my recommended supplies for Christmas glitter ornaments.
- Clear plastic ornaments – find these at crafts stores during the holiday season or right here year-round.
- Fine glitter or fine/chunky glitter mix
- Clear polyurethane (home depot) or polyacrylic
- Funnel or rolled up piece or cardstock
- Mini plastic cups
- Vinyl in choice colors. I recommend white for most of the wording or black if you are making white glitter ornaments. I also love to use glitter vinyl for the details!
- Transfer tape
- Cricut scraper
- Cricut cutting machine (or any cutting machine that works with SVG files)
- Ribbon (optional)
- Free Christmas SVG word designs – download all 15 of mine below via the form or log into your free account here.
DOWNLOAD THE FREE ORNAMENT DESIGNS
Next, download the free ornament SVG words. Download these free templates by signing up via the form below. If you are already a member, log in right here and find it by searching ornaments or Design #63. Need help entering the vault? Read this helpful post here.
I design all my own SVG cut files including all these cute Christmas SVG phrases and holiday words. I love teaching other cutting machine crafters how to make their own SVG files check out my FREE Magic of SVGs workshop here!
If you are interested in learning what fonts that will work in Cricut Design Space I have a whole Christmas font post you will love here!
How to Make Christmas Glitter Ornaments
- Fill a 30 ml syringe with polyacrylic or polyurethane.
- Push the syringe into the top of your ornament.
- Swirl the polyurethane around till fully coasted and tip the plastic ornament upside down on a cup to drain the excess.
- After about 2 minutes of draining, pour glitter into the ornament with a small funnel.
- Swirl the glitter around until fully covered with glitter. For the inside, take a paper towel and cover the top and shake to coat the top thoroughly. See video for details.
- Place your glitter Christmas ornament upside down again on a cup to dry for about 30 minutes before adding the ornament top back on.
- Hang your ornament!
How to Make Glitter Ornaments – Video Tutorial
Once you have your supplies and the free Christmas SVG templates for these ornaments watch the full video below or take a look at my quick-place picture tutorial!
More Holiday Crafts to Love!
- How to Fill in Writing and Drawings with Cricut – No More Bubble Letters or Outlines!
- Paper Dahlia Tutorial: How to Make Giant Paper Dahlias
- Making Stencils with Cricut: Stencil Vinyl or Reusable, Which is Better?
- 12 Cricut Joy Accessories and Materials You Need
- How To Use Smart Vinyl And Iron-On With The Cricut Joy Machine
About Abbi Kirsten Collections
I have spent the last 9+ years building my creative skills and sharing them with others. My flower designs are created with simplicity, color and crafty fun in mind. If you haven’t yet, be sure to join the subscriber community to gain access to all my freebies or visit my signature design shop here!
Want to join my Facebook community to share your crafts and learn from the best? Click here to request access to my group, Crafters and Cricut Lovers.