Paper flowers and paper leaf crafts have endless uses from wall decor to party backdrops or a paper flower bouquet arrangement. They can do even more than real flowers can! For today’s papercraft project I decided to turn my tropical paper leaf template collections into Hawaiian Party Decorations, ideal as a table runner centerpiece for a bright rainbow luau party!
By now, you know bright colors of the rainbow spark my creativity in many of my designs. If rainbow colors aren’t your style then follow this paper leaf craft with more traditional colors like tropical shades of green. I also think doing this as a table runner for a wedding in all white paper on a darker tablecloth would look stunning!
The Hawaiian party table runner decoration is extremely easy to make! The hardest part is cutting out your leaves and flowers since this can be time-consuming, depending on how long your table is. I’ve listed my preferred supplies and leaf templates I used for this runner below.
More Crafts to Love
DIY Ombre Rainbow Paper Flower Table Runner tutorial
Paper Leaf Runner – DIY Hawaiian Party Decorations Supply List
- 65 pound cardstock in rainbow colors (Or your favorite colors. Don’t worry I won’t judge if it isn’t rainbow!)
- Scissors and or cutting machine. (I strongly recommend a cutting machine.)
- Glue gun
- Brush pens or distress ink to color the edges of the leaves if desired. You will see this done in my images.
- Bahama Mama tropical paper leaf template collection (free download in the Freebie Vault for a limited time! Download the templates below.)
- If you decide to add flowers, small or large, then pick out some templates for that too.
Enjoy My Freebie Vault and Download My Free Leaf Templates
Download these free Bahama Mama templates by signing up via the form below. If you are already a member, log in and find it by searching ‘leaves’ at the top search bar. Need help entering the vault? Read this helpful post.
How to Make Your Paper Leaf Table Runner – Hawaiian Party Decorations
For my paper leaves, I cut out 10 different colors in all shades of the rainbow with 3 leaves in each color. I mixed up the tropical leaves. Let your personality shine here. If you prefer only 1 style of a leaf or only a single color or more traditional colors then go for it!
- First, I practiced my layout and arranged them. I checked to see if I have enough for my table length. You can group the colors together for the ombre rainbow effect as I did or mix them up!
- Once you have them laid out in a straight line, you can move them closer together so that each leaf is overlapping with the next one. The point of overlap is where you want to add your bit of hot glue.
- Repeat with all the leaves till you have achieved your desired length for your DIY paper leaf table runner!
- To make the entire leaf table runner feel more supported, I did go back and add a wide ribbon to the underside – but this is optional.
That’s how easy this project is! If you are using a cutting machine like me, it definitely speeds things up! It took me about an hour to get leaves cut out and glued together. Not too bad!
- 65 pound cardstock in rainbow colors
- Scissors or cutting machine
- Glue gun
- Brush pens or distress ink
- Bahama Mama tropical paper leaf template collection
- For the paper leaves, cut out 10 different colors in all shades of the rainbow with 3 leaves in each color.
- Practice the layout and arrange them. Check to see if there's enough for the table length.
- Once laid out in a straight line, move them closer together so that each leaf is overlapping with the next one. The point of overlap is where to add the bit of hot glue.
- Repeat with all the leaves till it's the desired length.
- To make the entire leaf table runner feel more supported, add a wide ribbon to the underside. This is optional.
Display Your Paper Leaf Table Runner
This DIY paper leaf table runner looks great with just the leaves but if you want more floral flare then just strategically glue some small paper flowers on top! The small flowers shown here are my signature Mary Jane style. I have lots more small flower designs in the shop too.
How would you use this table runner? I think it would be fabulous at a party or luau as Hawaiian party decorations! Tell me your thoughts below!
Hey, Crafty bestie! I’m Abbi!
I’m thrilled you are here! I have spent the last 10+ years making messes and magic in my home studio to make the world a more colorful place, one craft at a time! I’m on a mission to nurture the creative magic inside your soul and bring that bursting imagination inside you to life with easy-to-learn tutorials. If you haven’t yet, be sure to join the subscriber community to gain access to all my freebies or visit my signature design shop, Catching Colorflies!