This year graduations are happening a little different. Many of them are staggered or late, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be special! Today I am sharing a DIY graduation cap box tutorial that is perfect for gifting cash or candy to a new graduate.
DIY Graduation Cap Gift Box
I’ve recently fallen in love with Cricut Party Foil and decided to create the cap’s tassel with a touch of sparkle. You can create these gift boxes in an array of colors, which of course, I had to demonstrate both a traditional black graduation cap and some playful hues as well.
Below are the supplies you will need/want to create your own graduation cap gift boxes.
- Cardstock paper
- Party foil by Cricut
- Gold Brads
- Tombow scrapbooking tape
- Hot glue gun
- Embroidery thread
- Cricut Maker/Cricut Explore or Printer
- Scoring wheel or scoring stylus if using a Cricut machine
- Grad cap box templates – I’m sharing these templates in SVG and PDF format for free when you sign up below via the teal button! Download these free templates by signing up via the teal button below. If you are already a member, then login right here and find it in the Seasonal section.
How to Access Freebies
Download these free templates by signing up via the teal button below. If you are already a member, then login right here and find it in the Seasonal section. Remember to use the password you were given in the first email. Need help entering the vault? Read this helpful post here.
As I said, you can cut the grad cap boxes with scissors or your Cricut machine. If you use your Cricut machine, then be sure to use either the scoring wheel or scoring stylus, so your folds are precise.
Using the Template in Design Space
When you bring the template into Design Space, change the black lines on top of the solid template to a scoreline, then Attach the scoreline to the solid template.
Printing the Box Template
For those who wish to cut by hand you can easily print the PDF file and follow the instructions included with your freebie to glue and fold the grad cap box.
These gift boxes are a super fun and adorable way to gift money or candy to a new graduate!
How would you use these boxes? Tell me in the comments!
DIY Paper Graduation Cap Gift Box – Quick Video Guide
About Abbi Kirsten Collections
I have spent the last 9+ years building my creative skills and sharing them with others. My flower designs are created with simplicity, color, and crafty fun in mind. If you haven’t yet, be sure to join the subscriber community to gain access to all my freebies or visit my signature design shop here!
Want to join my Facebook community to share your crafts and learn from the best? Click here to request access to my group, Crafters and Cricut Lovers.
More Crafty Goodness
- How to Fill in Writing and Drawings with Cricut – No More Bubble Letters or Outlines!
- Paper Dahlia Tutorial: How to Make Giant Paper Dahlias
- Making Stencils with Cricut: Stencil Vinyl or Reusable, Which is Better?
- 12 Cricut Joy Accessories and Materials You Need
- How To Use Smart Vinyl And Iron-On With The Cricut Joy Machine