After the recent release of my new Camellia paper flower, peony flowers came to mind, since roses and peonies are my two most favorite flowers from nature.
My lovely crafters are always asking for new paper flower templates and are constantly telling me that roses, as well as peonies, are your favorites – and they are mine too!
In today’s, tutorial I am adding yet another peony to the flower collection.
Metallic flowers are not the only new paper I have been playing within the blog. If you haven’t yet be sure to learn more about my Crepe Paper Flower Hibiscus templates or my Free Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Tutorial.
Here is my go-to supply list for making these pretty peony paper flowers.
- 50 lb text weight metallic cardstock.
- Glue gun
- 18 gauge wire
- Wood dowel
- Cricut machine (Explore or Maker) OR use your scissors to cut by hand. New to Cricut? Join my free Cricut workshop!
- Peony template on Catching Colorflies or you can download the peony template on Etsy.
- Check out my full paper flower supply list!
- Optional: Paper Blooms Shaping Mat and Tool Set – This is a product I created especially to help with small paper flowers!
There are tons of flower templates both large and small waiting in the shop but I also have a freebie vault! Want to see what’s inside the freebie vault? I’ve got free flower templates, SVGs, printables, and more!
If you are ready to see how to build these flowers step by step be sure to download your peony paper flower templates.
You can easily choose from the printable PDF files for those who wish to hand-cut with scissors or you can upload the SVG cut file to your Cricut or Silhouette machine! (Curious about if a Cricut machine is right for you? View my Cricut Buying Guide!)
Ready to make these Full Bloom paper peonies? Hit play on the video below!
How to Make Small Paper Peony Flowers: Peony Video Tutorial
- Cut out your petals in advance with your Cricut cutting machine and my Peony Paper Flower template. The final petal count and measurements are:
6-point petals: 4.1 H x 3.8 W inches
9-point petals: 3.9 H wide x 3.8 W inches
Leaves: up to your preference. I do about 2 inches high.
- Curl your petals using a wooden dowel or your Shaping Mat and Tool set.
- Create a small wire-sized hole in the center of each petal.
- Cut three 1-inch strips of yellow paper for the flower's stamen (or center).
- Use pinking shears to create a trim down the long edge of each strip.
- Fold the strips in half, then in half again.
- Using detail scissors, cut down the trimmed side about 3/4 inch long.
- Repeat for all three folded strips.
- Gently twist the stamens to create a messy fluff.
- Wrap strips around the stem and secure them with glue.
- Leave an inch of stem sticking out the top.
- Bend and hide the top stem sticking up to reinforce the center.
- Add the remaining two strips to the stem.
Full Bloom Flower
- Thread the 9-point petals through the wire hole in the center of the petal, up the stem, and glue them in place.
- Be sure to alternate petals between each other for all petals.
- Thread 6-point petals onto the stem and glue them to the flower.
- The peony is finished! You can add more petal layers if you like.
- Optional: add leaves or finishing touches to the bottom of the flower.
Enjoy your beautiful full blooming small paper flower peonies!
- Let It Snow SVG: 17+ Free Winter And Snow SVG Files For Cricut and Silhouette
- DIY Valentine Cards With Cricut: Loads of Love Card SVG
- How To Layer and Apply Vinyl To Wood Signs: DIY Signs With Cricut
- DIY Christmas Blanket With HTV: Custom Holiday Blanket with Cricut
- How To Make Floating Photo Ornaments With Cricut: Free Floating Ornament Templates
Hey, Crafty bestie! I’m Abbi!
I’m thrilled you are here! I have spent the last 10+ years making messes and magic in my home studio to make the world a more colorful place, one craft at a time! I’m on a mission to nurture the creative magic inside your soul and bring that bursting imagination inside you to life with easy-to-learn tutorials. If you haven’t yet, be sure to join the subscriber community to gain access to all my freebies or visit my signature design shop, Catching Colorflies!
Ready to Master Your Cricut WITHOUT Tech Confusion or Overwhelm?
Do you own a Cricut machine or want to own a Cricut but maybe you are overwhelmed when you look at the Design Space software and feel lost with all the functions?
Maybe you wish you could create your own design files rather than being forced to spend money on every design for each project you make?
Let me share with you the 3 biggest mistakes Cricut crafters make and my proven steps to not only master your Cricut but also transform yourself into a craft designer!
If that sounds like it’s for you be sure to join me here in my FREE masterclass!