Faux leather and glitter canvas materials have become very popular over the past year. It’s become a tradition on my blog to create some sort of Christmas tree craft every year. The last two years I made a 3D paper Christmas tree and a pine tree craft!
Leathers and glitter canvas are great for bow and earring crafts but there are many more possibilities than just that! For Christmas this year I have gone on a glitter leather binge starting with these Faux Glitter Leather Cone Christmas Trees!
What I love most about this Christmas tree craft is how simple it is to make and this is friendly for those who own or do not own a Cricut machine.
When it comes to using a Cricut machine with chunky glitter sheets you will need to create your own setting which I will walk you through below.
Supplies for Faux Glitter Leather Christmas Tree Craft
- Cricut machine or pair of scissors
- Faux leather or glitter canvas sheets – I love this brand here as well as Jewel Box Supply. Be sure to check out Amazon and Etsy for lots of glitter and leather sheets too!
- Styrofoam cones in various sizes – I used this tall one in the video tutorial
- Strong grip Cricut mat and strong grip transfer tape (optional)
- Painter’s tape
- Glue gun
- Pencil if you plan to cut by hand for tracing the templates onto the back of the canvas sheets.
- Tree petal templates (find them in the freebie vault! Details to access below!)
How to Access the Christmas Tree Templates
Download these free templates by signing up via the form below. If you are already a member, then login right here and find it in the Holiday section #49. Remember to use the password you were given in the first email. Need help entering the vault? Read this helpful post here.
Cutting the faux leather or glitter canvas for your cone Christmas tree craft
Cutting by Hand
Cutting with Machine
Cutting with a Cricut helps the process and the hands so much! There are SVG cut files included in the free template designs that you can upload to Cricut Design Space – learn how to upload an SVG here.
To save your mat from getting glitter stuck all over it, use the transfer tape liner hack below!
I cut a piece of 12 x 12 strong grip transfer tape and place it white liner side up onto my strong grip mat. Once placed, remove the white liner and the sticky side of your transfer tape should be up for you to place the glitter sheet onto. This method allows you to cut without getting chunky glitter all over your mat!
Looking for more Design Space and Cricut Hacks? Check out my 16 Questions & Answers Ever Beginner Asks Post
YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE
To Create Your Own Setting In Design Space for Chunky Glitter Leather/Canvas Sheets
For thin faux leather sheets, you can use the faux leather setting in Design Space. If you are using a thin glitter canvas then the canvas setting under Custom options will work well. However, if you plan to use a chunky glitter canvas sheet you will need to create your own setting for the best results.
- Load your templates and click Make It. Once on the cut screen where you select your settings choose to Browse All Materials
2. Scroll to the very bottom and select “Material Settings.”
3. Click “Add New Material” to create your own setting.
4. Name your material. I named my setting Glitter Canvas.
5. Select the pressure, blade, and number of passes. Mine are as follows: maximum pressure (350), Fine-point blade, and 4 passes. Then click Save.
Now that you have created a custom setting return to your setting sections and select the Glitter Canvas you just created.
Use the dropdown menu to change the pressure to MORE. Then load your material and begin the cut!
Next place your glitter leather or canvas and tape down the edges with painter’s tape. Load the mat and precede with the cut.
When you finish cutting your material remove unload and remove it from the mat. It’s common for pieces to stick together so you many need to gently pull the tree petals out to get the final release from the chunky glitter.
Faux Glitter Leather Canvas Christmas Tree Craft Video Tutorial
Now it’s finally time to assemble our cone Christmas tree craft! Watch the video tutorial below to see how easy this festive project is!
This Faux Glitter Leather Cone Christmas Tree Craft project is perfect to display year after year and capture your favorite colors with a Christmas vibe!
Be sure to share your project in my Facebook group!
More Crafts to Love
- Christmas Poinsettia Flower Mandala Tutorial – Christmas Card Craft
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Boxes – Thanksgiving Favor Treat Box Templates
- Giant Paper Sunflower Tutorial – Paper Flower SVG and PDF Printable Templates
- 3D Layered Paper Mandala Craft Tutorial – Sunflower Layered Mandala SVG File
- Cardboard Tube Crafts – 6 Clever Ways to Reuse Vinyl Cardboard Tubes
About Abbi Kirsten Collections
I have spent the last 10+ years building my creative skills and sharing them with others. My flower designs are created with simplicity, color, and crafty fun in mind. If you haven’t yet, be sure to join the subscriber community to gain access to all my freebies or visit my signature design shop here!
Want to join my Facebook community to share your crafts and learn from the best? Click here to request access to my group, Crafters and Cricut Lovers.