Today I am sharing this beautiful 3D paper hummingbird SVG craft tutorial. There is also a layered flower SVG included to complete your hummingbird craft! I love creating layered paper mandala projects with my Cricut because they are so simple to make but look like you did something really advanced! I like to call 3D paper mandalas the show-stoppers for beginners to Cricut.
Below you will find the supplies for my hummingbird SVG mandala designs as well as where to download the file!
For those of you looking for more mandala crafts beyond my hummingbird SVG designs, be sure to check out my FREE sunflower, pumpkin, fall leaf, and turkey mandala designs here! Additionally, check out all these other mandala paper crafts on Abbi Kirsten Collections
- Poinsettia mandala card
- Rainbow mandala
- Heart mandala gift box (freebie)
- Set of three angel wings mandalas (freebie)
3D Layered Hummingbird SVG Video Tutorial
Supplies for the Layered Hummingbird and Flower Paper Mandala Craft
- Cricut machine: You can use a Cricut Maker, Cricut 3, Cricut Explore Air 2, or Explore 3 for this craft. I do not recommend the Cricut Joy for this project only because of the intricate nature of this hummingbird SVG design. If you scale the file too small, then you may experience tearing of your paper.
You can also use a Silhouette Cameo if you have the designer edition software, which works with SVG files, whereas the free Silhouette Studio only works with a PNG image or a DXF file.
- Cardstock paper: I LOVE the cardstock from the 12 x 12 Cardstock Shop. They have smooth and textured options in any color you can imagine. For more paper resources, check out my guide to cardstock here. Below we will also discuss tips for cutting cardstock on Cricut.
- 3D foam strip tape
- Weeding tool
- Cricut mat
- Flower and hummingbird SVG file (below)
Accessing the 3D Hummingbird SVG Templates
Download this 3D hummingbird SVG and flower SVG templates by joining the Abbi Kirsten Member Vault. If you are already a member, then log in right here and find it by searching design #568 or the keyword “hummingbird.” You can grab this hummingbird design for both personal use or select the commercial use option for reselling it as a product!
Upload the Hummingbird SVG to Cricut Design Space
To upload the hummingbird and flower SVG files to Cricut Design Space, first save the design (available above) to your computer. Then follow this tutorial here to see step-by-step how to upload your own SVG cut files to Cricut.
Cutting the Hummingbird SVG Mandala Using Your Cricut: Quick to Intricate cuts for cardstock
3D layered hummingbird SVG mandala paper craft with Cricut. Learn to cut cardstock for intricate cuts and avoid tearing your paper on Cricut.
Step 1: Cut out each layer of your hummingbird SVG mandala on your cutting machine. I use a Cricut, but any machine that is SVG compatible will work! I scaled by hummingbird SVG to 7.7 inches wide x 8.6 inches high and 6.2 inches wide by 4.7 inches high for the flower SVG. I do not recommend going too small, or your design may not cut well.
- Make sure to use the corresponding setting for your material. For this hummingbird craft, I strongly recommend using the custom setting in Design Space, cardstock for intricate cuts. Because of the tiny cuts and curves of this detailed design, the cardstock for intricate cuts is going to work best. This setting goes over each cut 2x to ensure the paper does not rip due to too much pressure. While this setting choice does take a little longer to cut out, the results of a beautiful cut are well worth it!
- Remember to check out the 12 x 12 Cardstock Shop for some amazing paper options!
Some other tips for cutting your cardstock on Cricut include
- Make sure your blade is new or free from debris
- Ensure your cardstock is pressed completely to the mat using a brayer tool, or opt for a new cutting mat.
- Use the right setting. Cardstock for Intricate Cuts is best for projects like this hummingbird SVG.
- Do not scale your design too small. Doing so will result in tearing. See my size suggestions above.
Step 2: Your hummingbird SVG mandala pieces may or may not cut out in the order you arrange them. But don’t panic; there is an easy way to make sure you layer them correctly. Just make sure to set all the pieces aside and not lose any – I like to use a shallow container or box to collect my mandala layers.
Assembling Your Hummingbird and Flower Mandalas
Step 3: After you cut all the mandala pieces, it’s time for assembly. To prep, start by laying all your parts in the correct order. You can identify the correct order quickly by returning to Design Space and viewing your Layer’s Panel to the right, which will show the correct order of layers.
Usually, on the first two or three layers, the larger foam tabs work great – which is what gives us the 3D pop we are looking for!
Step 5: Continue layering your hummingbird SVG. After the first two or 3 layers, you may want to switch to liquid glue because the cuts will become too intricate for foam tape. Repeat this process with the flowers.
Step 6: Once you have layered all the paper cutouts together admire your beautiful finished project!
There are lots of ways you can use mandalas I choose to add mine to a simple wood sign using foam tape. Here are a few other ideas for using paper mandalas made with your Cricut.
As a sneak peek, check out my two-minute tutorial on turning a mandala into canvas art!
Did you enjoy this 3D hummingbird SVG craft? Don’t forget to visit the 12 x 12 Cardstock Shop and discover all the colors and textures of craft paper they provide!
Looking for Free SVG Files?
Love freebies?! Me too! I have a gorgeous Freebie Vault you will love playing in. Create a free account by signing up via the form below with your email address to access hundreds of crafts! If you love the free SVGs and crafts you will adore the Premium Member Vault too!
More Crafts to Love
- Christmas Candy Holder: Santa, Snowman, Reindeer, and Elf SVG Files
- 15+ Easy-to-Make Christmas Cricut Ornament Ideas: Free SVG Files
- Free Just Breathe With Dandelion SVG File: 18+ Encouragement SVG Files
- DIY Coffee Gift Card Holder With Cricut: Free Gift Card Holder SVG Files
- DIY Fillable Christmas Ornaments: Free Let It Snow SVG
About Abbi Kirsten
Welcome to my colorful corner of the internet, where we play with vibrant crafts and unlock your creative magic! Hang out with me and get lost in a fun array of projects, tutorials, and products, from stunning papercraft ideas to flower templates, Cricut help for beginners, and endless crafter’s hacks.